(Tentative) 2015 Race Weekend Schedule
SATURDAY, July 25
Packet Pick-Up is MANDATORY on Saturday if you are not registered as VIP.
Registration will also be open. There is NO packet pickup or registration on race day.
10:00 am - Registration Opens
10:30 am - Course Talk (given by race director Jack Caress)
11:00 am - Buitoni Pasta Lunch Opens (free for registered competitors; $8 for all others)
2:00 pm - Course Talk (given by race director Jack Caress)
2:00 pm - Buitoni Pasta Lunch Closes
3:00 pm - Registration Closes
SUNDAY, July 26 - Voinovich Park/E. 9th Street
5:00 am - Transition Area opens and body marking begins (East 9th Pier)
5:30 am - VIP registration opens (no other packets will be available, VIP open)
6:30 am - Road closures begin
6:45 am - Transition area closes
6:50 am - Super Sprint race begins
7:00 am - Sprint race begins
7:45 am - Olympic race begins
Youth waves start after Olympic swimmers are in (7-10 years old; 11-14)
10:30 am - Super Sprint and Sprint awards ceremony
11:30 am - Olympic awards ceremony
1:00 pm - Finish line and expo close
2015 Race Information
Pacific Sports launched its new SwimStream start procedure at the Herbalife Triathlon in 2013. It was a huge success and we're using it again in 2015 at the Cleveland Triathlon. The only competitors who will NOT be using the SwimStream start process are the two youth categories. Here's how the SwimStream start works:
- Participants will be allowed to self-determine at which time they begin the swim portion of the Cleveland Triathlon. Super Sprint triathletes will start first, followed by Sprint, followed by Olympic. Those with the fastest anticipated swim time will be encouraged to start in the earliest grouping or stream within the race distance they are competing. For the Olympic Distance it would be below 22 minutes; Sprint would be below 11 minutes; for the Super Sprint it would be below 6 minutes.
- The swim area will be no different than our previous swim starts or other swim starts you've seen. This year, we will be using the existing docks at the new marina at North Coast Harbor. Swimmers should line up in their appropriate anticipated time, again faster swimmers up front. Note, just like a running event, we will not force someone in a specific time/pace. It is on the honor system. This will allow some variability if friends, members of a triathlon club, co-workers from the same company, or family members want to swim together. We want swimmers to have maximum comfort and relaxation when entering the lake.
- Once a stream enters the start area on the docks, swimmers will move toward the end of the dock, cross the timing mat and proceed directly into the water. Similar to a funnel. Your time starts when you cross the SwimStream timing mat. We will have streams of approximately 80 swimmers each. At this point, athletes will be allowed into the water as earlier streams of swimmers finish. Lifeguards and our swim coordinators will assist in controlling the flow of the swimmers (like turning off and on a spigot).
- Once the Super Sprint distance triathletes are in the water, we will have an approximate 10 minute gap and then start the Sprint under 11-minute swimmers, and so on until all the competitors have left the docks. The Olympic Distance will start after the Sprint race.
- Unfortunately there is no area for swim warmups at North Coast Harbor. We strongly encourage you to get warm by jogging or cycling prior to the race swim start.
- Each race category (Olympic, Sprint, Super Sprint, and Youth) will have a specific, assigned cap color. Please make sure to pick up the appropriate color when you pick up your race packet at the Doubletree on Saturday.
At the Herbalife Triathlon, we found that the SwimStream start allowed all the competitors to get into the water much faster than the traditional wave starts, so let your cheering section know you'll be on the bike a lot faster than in previous years.
Approximately 30 minutes after the first competitor crosses the finish line, results will be posted near the finishline. They will remain posted in hardcopy until the awards ceremony is over. Results can also be found through a posted link here and on the Facebook page.
We will have a team of professional photographs taking competitor photos during the race. The link will be posted here and on the Facebook page.
Post Race Festival
The post race area will be at the old skate park next to the finish line. Join us there, listen to the music and watch the awards festival.
Host Hotel - TBD
Rules and Regulations
Herbalife H3O is the Official Fluid Replacement drink for the Cleveland Triathlon and Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water is the Official Water of the Cleveland Triathlon. Herbalife and Arrowhead water (on the Olympic course) will be at the aid stations. Bars, water, Herbalife and fruit will be available at the post-race food area.
Look for aid stations at the following locations:
- Exiting Transition on the E. 9th St Pier
- Top of the Memorial Shoreway entrance ramp and E. 9th St.
- On the Memorial Shoreway at the 5K turn around
- Cleveland Triathlon Finishline behind the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
The Awards Ceremony will take place at approximately noon between Rock Hall and Science Center. Awards are given 1st-3rd in each category and overall male and female in each event.
There is plenty of parking in nearby lots on East 9th Street – Municipal Lot, Willard Garage, North Point Garage. Parking is also available on the streets South of Lakeside Avenue and at the DoubleTree by Hilton.
You may email us at Info@PacificSportsLLC.com for any additional questions.
For those of you participating in your first triathlon, Here are a few items to read:
- "Tips for First-Timers", put together by Slowtwich.com
- A guide to the Basics of Triathlon (PDF file)
- A guide to Triathlon Etiquette (PDF file)
- Matt Fitzgerald's well-written"12 Weeks to Your First Triathlon"(PDF file)
2014 Results & Competitor Photos
Results Link: 2014 Race Results
2014 Competitor Photos: 2014 Photos
Your 2014 photos were taken by FinisherPix.