2016 Race Weekend Schedule
Saturday July 30th
Location: University Hospitals Ahuja Medical Center
Course Talks: 10:30am, 12:30pm and 2pm
Guest Speaker: 11am & 1pm
Dr. James Voos MD - University Hospitals
Discussing Sports Medicine, preparation for the Cleveland Triathlon, injuries and taking all of your questions.
Pasta Lunch: 11am to 2pm
Expo Closes: 3pm
Sunday, July 31st
Location: Downtown Cleveland North Coast Harbor
Race Day Schedule
Transition Opens: 5am
National Anthem: 6:45am
SuperSprint Start: 7am
Sprint Start: 7:15am
Olympic Distance Start: 7:45am
Youth Race Start: 8:15am
Awards Ceremony: 11:15am
30th Anniversary Post Race Party: Ongoing at NUEVO
2016 Race Information
- Participants will be allowed to self-determine they start the swim portion of the Cleveland Triathlon. Those with the fastest anticipated swim time will be encouraged to start in the earliest grouping or stream. For the Olympic Distance, this would be below 22 minutes; for the Sprint it would be below 11 minutes.
- The swim chute will be very similar to other swim starts you've seen. Swimmers should line up in their appropriate anticipated time. Note, just like a running event, we will not force someone in a specific time/pace with SuperSprint race going first, Sprint second, and Olympic third. Where you line up in each race on the honor system, but we encourage faster swimmers up front (regardless of age or category) and if you swim with friends, family, or club members this is even better. Whatever makes you comfortable. We want swimmers to have maximum comfort and relaxation when entering the harbor.
- Once a stream enters the start chute, swimmers will move toward the end of the chute, cross the timing mat and proceed directly into the water. Similar to a funnel. Your time starts when you cross the SwimStream timing mat. We will have streams of approximately 75 swimmers each (e.g., 75 swimmers in the under-22-minute Olympic swim stream). We will run streams of swimmers until we get 300 participants in the water. At this point, athletes will be allowed into the water as earlier streams of swimmers finish and come up onto the marina to exit the swim via ladders. If necessary, we allow assistance in exiting the water. Lifeguards and our swim coordinators will assist in controlling the flow of the swimmers (like turning off and on a spigot).
- Once the SuperSprint distance race is in the water, we will have a approximately 10 minute gap and then start the Sprint under-11 minute swimmers, and so on until all the competitors have left the docks and enter the water. The Sprint will start once the SuperSprint swimmers exit the water, and the Olympic starts after the Sprint swimmers are past the turn buoys.
- We strongly encourage you to warm up prior to the swim.
Rules and Regulations
Herbalife H3O is the Official Fluid Replacement drink for the Cleveland Triathlon and Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water is the Official Water of the Cleveland Triathlon. Herbalife and Arrowhead water (on the Olympic course) will be at the aid stations. Bars, water, Herbalife and fruit will be available at the post-race food area.
Look for aid stations at the following locations:
- Exiting Transition on the E. 9th St Pier
- Top of the Memorial Shoreway entrance ramp and E. 9th St.
- On the Memorial Shoreway at the 5K turn around
- Cleveland Triathlon Finishline behind the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
The Awards Ceremony will take place at approximately noon between Rock Hall and Science Center. Awards are given 1st-3rd in each category and overall male and female in each event.
There is plenty of parking in nearby lots on East 9th Street – Municipal Lot, Willard Garage, North Point Garage. Parking is also available on the streets South of Lakeside Avenue and at the DoubleTree by Hilton.
You may email us at Info@PacificSportsLLC.com for any additional questions.
For those of you participating in your first triathlon, Here are a few items to read:
- "Tips for First-Timers", put together by Slowtwich.com
- A guide to the Basics of Triathlon (PDF file)
- A guide to Triathlon Etiquette (PDF file)
- Matt Fitzgerald's well-written"12 Weeks to Your First Triathlon"(PDF file)